Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Gitchie Gitchie Ya Ya!


Dear Dr. Diva,

I have a young daughter (she’s 12) who has recently become interested in rock and roll music and bands. I listened to one of the CD’s recently and was not happy with what I heard – the lyrics were offensive. I don’t think I can really take it away from her, since all of her friends listen to the same things. What can I do?


X-Tina makin' you feel dirrty? Posted by Hello


Sweety,

I’ve known parents who forbade television completely, and parents who basically said “do whatever you want” – in the end, the child will have to make decisions for themselves and define themselves in their own way – your control won’t change that.

So, if your daughter is completely fine in other areas that are important (socially, in school, baking cheesecakes, etc.), then I’d say she’s fine – and let her listen to what she wants. Parents who simply try to shut out American popular culture are doing their kids a disservice – dabbling in different areas of popular culture helps kids to identify themselves, and learn about their tastes.

So, when you’re driving her around, make her listen to your old music and tell her “too damn bad, I let you listen to what you want in your room – this car is mine, fool!”

Payback’s a b*tch!

Disagree?
Well that's you, and I'm sorry
I'ma keep playin' these cats out like Atari,
Dr. Diva