Friday, February 11, 2005

That's Why They Call It 'Fantastik,' Hon


Dear Dr. Diva,

I have lived with my husband for many years now – and recently we’ve just lost the motivation to clean up! The house is very messy now, and neither of us seems to care enough to clean it. My husband is now getting angry with me, and doesn’t want to bring work home with him or friends over because he’s embarrassed about the house. We are depressed – but isn’t it silly to be depressed over how clean the house is?


Scrub like you mean it! Posted by Hello

Nope.

A house is just another reflection of who you are. If the house looks like hell – that’s what you look like on the inside, girl! The problem isn’t that you are depressed because of the house – but rather that the house looks the way it does because you and/or your husband may be depressed.

Everyone is allowed to be messy to a certain extent – but if it impedes your life (“I’m too embarrassed to have my friends over”) it has crossed over into being a serious problem. So, without knowing more, the best I can say is to take the situation seriously: seek help by having a serious conversation with your hubby about it – and consider professional counseling.

If all of this advice is going right over your head – you need open up a yellow pages and look under “C” for cleaning services! Well, honey, at least it’s a start!


The Dirrty Dr. Diva